The Betsiamites Innu Reserve is located on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, southwest of Baie-Comeau. In 1861, the Innu exchanged the Manicouagan Reserve for an expanse of 25,500 hectares of land at the mouth of the Bersimis River. This new reserve was a summer gathering place where salmon fishing was practised. The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate established an administrative centre there in 1862. In 1981, the Bersimis reserve was renamed. Pessamit means ‘where the lampreys are’.