We are thrilled to be partnering with Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants, a free, interactive, real-time learning platform from right here in Canada. We are working with them to host 15 Google Hangouts throughout the expedition. The Google Hangouts will cover a wide range of topics that relate to Canada C3. Visit www.ExploringByTheSeat.com to register your class or summer camp program for FREE, receive regular updates on all upcoming Canada C3 Google Hangouts and book your camera spot to interact with the presenter live!
Upcoming Canada C3 Google Hangouts:
- C3 Hangout #6: Tuesday, July 18th 9:30am – 10:30am EDT – Canadian Museum of Nature Scientist, Ed Hendrycks speaks on Arctic marine amphipods live from the ship in Akami-Uapishkᵁ-KakKasuak-Mealy Mountains National Park Reserve, NL. Read more about Ed here.
- C3 Hangout #7: Friday, July 28th 2:00pm – 3:00pm EDT – Nathalie Le François (Biôdome, Montréal, QC) and Mark Graham (Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa, ON) present on patterns of genetic diversity and experimental biology in the Arctic live from the C3 vessel. Read more about Nathalie here and Mark here.
- C3 Hangout #8: Monday, July 31st 1:30pm – 2:30pm EDT – Grant Gilchrist (Wildlife Research Division – Environment and Climate Change Canada, Ottawa, ON) will discuss marine bird surveys in the Arctic live from the ship. Read more about Grant here.
Previous Canada C3 Google Hangouts:
- C3 Hangout #1: April 27, 2017 at — Intro to Canada C3 with Education Lead, Diz Glithero. Watch the full Hangout here. See a summary of the Hangout here.
- C3 Hangout #2: Monday, May 8, 2017 — Virtual Tour of the Canada C3 Expedition Vessel with Ship Logistics Lead, Scott McDougall. Watch the full Hangout here.
- C3 Hangout #3: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 — Biodiversity Ocean Research on Canada C3 with oceanographer Boris Worm (part of International Day for Biological Diversity). Watch the full Hangout here.
- C3 Hangout #4: Thursday, June 8 — World Ocean Day: A Hangout with Canada C3 Expedition Leader, Geoff Green on Canada as an Ocean Nation. Watch the full Hangout here.
- C3 Hangout #5: Tuesday, June 20th — Bilingual Hangout with Canada C3 Leg 2 Scientist, Lyne Morissette, Marine Mammal Ecology Researcher working on the St. Lawrence River. Watch the full hangout here.
We’ve made keeping up with us easy! Each day of our expedition will include a variety of ways for you and your class to get involved. We will regularly be posting short videos shot on location, including expedition leader updates, Canada C3 scientists reporting in the field, youth ambassadors taking part in community visits, as well as Facebook Lives throughout the voyage! Check out one of our first videos, introducing the Canada C3 ship as just an example!
Facebook: Like our Canada C3 page.
- Are you a teacher? Join the Canada C3 Teacher Facebook Group.
- Are you a young Canadian? Join the Canada C3 Youth Facebook Group.
There will be a handful of ‘mega live-learning events’ that will take place throughout the Canada C3 expedition. Through a network of partners and collaborators, thousands of youth, teachers and everyday Canadians from across the country will be able to participate in these events from their classroom, home, summer camp, at regional Canada C3 Museum Hubs or at national education sites. One of our exciting live-learning events will occur on Aug. 27 in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. Ocean educators with the Fish Eye Project, in partnership with Ocean Networks Canada and the University of Victoria, will be hosting a Canada C3 Arctic Live Dive. You will be able to virtually dive underwater with this team in real time, see what the divers do, ask them questions while they are underwater and learn about the Arctic Ocean ecosystem firsthand!
Regardless of your specific curriculum, subject area(s) or learning priorities, connecting with this historic pan-Canadian initiative will help bring learning to life.